Sunday, July 15, 2018

Victoire, nine time zones off

I kept saying I'd share some fun SF updates. Among them, there was Pride. San. Francisco. Pride. Does it get any prouder? But that'll happen again next year, and hopefully I'll have someone special to share it with! This is the event that struck my blogger's fancy: a soccer game that required waking up before 9am on a Sunday morning.

This wasn't just any soccer match. It was the World Cup starring France. Full confession: I still hardly dragged myself out of bed. I've been coming down with a head cold that had different ideas for my morning. When the cheers outside my window and the google score count told me I had no more excuses, I pulled together as much blue and red as I could find, brushed my teeth, and ran out to the Civic Center to catch the last 15 minutes.
Allez les bleus !
It's the closest I've felt to France while on this side of the pond. There was a certain satisfaction to sharing a celebration with a bunch of compatriots, even (or especially?) ones unusually energized for this hour on an overcast Sunday morning. I realized I was feeling homesick for a place whose passport I don't even hold. To top it off, some of my first dates with Nicolas centered around the matches of the last World Cup, so it stung to have France win the very next World Cup and not get to share that. For a few moments, I got to imagine I was back home in France.

Then my husband sent me photos from said home, and I didn't have to imagine anymore. Maybe one of the biggest pros of the wait for his green card was the chance Nicolas had to get on the Champs Elysées tonight. I was so glad he got to be there to share this moment with his country.
Sweet victory flooded the Champs Elysées
It's not every day that the monotony of waiting to be reunited is punctuated with such moments of victory. Vive la France !

No comments:

Post a Comment