Monday, July 16, 2018

Speak of the devil

Speak of the devil. Mere hours after I last posted about my frustration over the silence on the immigration front, it finally ended. This morning I woke to an excited text from Nicolas and a much anticipated email:



Finally! We are now officially past the USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services) and on to the NVC (National Visa Center). I was logged into the NVC site, pajama clad but suddenly wide awake, filling in payment details as quickly as my fingers could navigate the keyboard. In a couple of days when our payments have been processed, we'll have full access to the online forms and document submission sections of the website.

I'm kicking myself for overlooking the opportunity to pre-assemble all these documents. It will take us a couple of weeks (hopefully no more!) to acquire and translate everything that will be asked of us. That's a couple of weeks sooner that we could be reunited, entirely on us. [insert self-loathing here] Doing our best to make up for lost time, we jumped onto various British and Belgian government sites to formally request the papers that will bring us one step closer to life together.

Once we submit these documents, there's a 6-week wait to get the results. If we're lucky, our case will be transferred directly to the Embassy in France, through which Nicolas can schedule his medical visit and interview. Who knows? Maybe we'll be together before the year is out.

For now, a manila folder sits beside me, just waiting to be fattened.

No comments:

Post a Comment