Monday, October 11, 2021

A few more themes

The ink has dried on our notarized contract signed two full days ago, and the final countdown has officially begun! While we wait to get our hands on the keys, I've been getting mine on a few more works of art. Etsy is just such a magical place.

 Theme: Boss Ladies with Fins
Remember those "few charmers" I off-handedly introduced at the end of my last post? Don't ever trust me to let the strays stay that way. The mermaid riso print from Four Eyes Illustration is now paired up with another mermaid riso print from artist Doriane Millet. I'm expecting these works will land somewhere around my desk space in a corner of our future bedroom.

Theme: Black Girl Magic
I've been trying to be more conscious of the default whiteness that exists in art depicting people. The fact that not all of us get to see ourselves equally reflected in art really eats at me, and I want to make sure that our home doesn't further propagate that issue. So when I stumbled across Tabitha Brown's prints, whose beautiful designs, vibrant colors, and modern style work perfectly with the look we're building for our living/dining spaces, I knew they were a must-have.

Theme: My cup of tea
The top of this pair, a piece from Anne-Julie Aubry, isn't entirely new to me - it's something that's been hanging in our current home for a few months now, but I'd like to port it over to our future home. I'm imagining it'll fit snugly into a corner of our bedroom, maybe near my desk and those riso mermaid prints. After a very long hunt for a proper pairing, I was excited to come across the works of Carlos C. Lainez. I had put a rule down that I wouldn't buy any new cat art for our home since the three feline residents already do enough to express our cat crazy without our walls doing just the same, but I found this piece to be so unique that it was worth bending the rules.

Theme: Cats!
Last but not least, these limited edition prints that I'd purchased from Jane Ormes back in 2016 for our big move to Brighton might just make the cut - we'll see once we've begun settling in.

We've also managed to frame the little piece of Brighton art that we'd used as the marker for our table of honor at our wedding back in 2017 as well as a photo or two from the big day, something that's never actually reached any of our walls in the nearly 5 years since. The only thing left on the docket is the potential purchase of a decorative clock or two. Nicolas may have won the fight on the front to actually have me wait until we move in before purchasing something. But there's still time, so no promises. ðŸ˜…

T minus 4 days until - yes, I'll put it in writing - Nicolas and I will officially become home owners!

No comments:

Post a Comment