Sunday, October 7, 2018

A better countdown

The last few pieces of our immigration puzzle fell into place so fast that we hardly had time to build up any anticipation. It was mostly a mad dash of vaccinations, doctor's visits, and medical exams, all of which fell on Nicolas's shoulders. I frantically and rather unhelpfully tried to provide any last minute support that I could from nine time zones away. On Tuesday night, as I got ready for bed, Nicolas dressed to impress. As I tucked myself in, he headed off to the embassy. And as I slept fretfully, he whiled away hours waiting for his turn to get called to the counter for an interview. By the time I'd awoken, after hardly a handful of questions, Nicolas's green card visa application was approved. And then life went on.

This didn't seem right. After months of agony, anxiety, and frustration, how could we just be going about our normal routines? How were we not running to airports and catching the next flights to be together? And how has Nicolas still not had "the talk" with his boss? 

I've struggled to process that, while it's what we've wanted and waited for, the next stage isn't easy either. Nicolas now has to wrap up the life he's rebuilt back in Paris. There are goodbyes to be said and loose ends to be tied. And this time he won't just be hopping in a car and driving around the EU to be with me. While I wanted nothing more than to book Nicolas's flight for the day that his passport gets returned to him in the mail, I had to accept that November 30 was close enough. So now, here's the best countdown we've had since our year of countdowns began:

No comments:

Post a Comment