Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Exercised

On a sunny and otherwise uneventful Monday morning, a single external withdrawal wiped my bank account clear of more money than Nicolas and I spent on our entire wedding, and certainly more than we have ever saved. And the craziest part: we asked for it. No, I don't mean we did something stupid (though you might argue it was). This was a planned payment, the single largest investment we've ever made, on partially borrowed money, all to dive head in to my start-up and its (God willing) successful future.

When we decided to take our move to the US along the Silicon Valley route, the job offer came with options. What did that even mean? Boy, did we have a lot to learn. In the tech world, especially start-ups, the payoff isn't all in the paycheck. If you want to go big, you have to go all in, and become a literal stakeholder in your company's future. And that is what we just did.
We're all in!

It's starting to weigh heavy on us to have to make so many bets on big decisions, from our finances to my housing (is Nicolas's green card close enough in our future for me to start paying a premium on housing to make space for him?) to travel plans (do we buy Nicolas extra tickets to accompany me from the US for the holidays, now while they're still affordable, in the hope that he'll be here in time to need to fly to Paris?). I know life is uncertain but it would be nice to have something more solid to hold on to. And someone to fall asleep next to.

No comments:

Post a Comment