Monday, May 21, 2018

Bay to Breakers, almost

Bay to Breakers is an annual party that claims to be a 12k race, but seems to come out more as Halloween in May. I had every intention of going out for the day, but come Sunday morning, my bed just sounded so much more appealing. I did drag myself up somewhere around the break of noon, and managed to rock a costume for the tail end of the party, enough to do a bit of seeing and being seen. And I think it was a statement that not a single passerby seemed thrown off by my wig and tiny skirt as I strolled past on an early Sunday afternoon. Interspersed with the normal folks just out brunching about, there were people rocking animal-themed blow-up floaty tubes, space suits, full Star Wars regalia, cookie monster outfits, cow costumes, and beanie baby suits, just to name a few. I think I didn't do too bad myself. In fact, I mostly wonder why it took me so long, after years of living in such the Alice-enthused town of Brighton, to buy myself such a get up.

Having failed to join in the proper celebration, I swung by my first Dolores Park acroyoga jam instead. However, I wasn't entirely dressed for the occasion, and had to take a rain check after just a few flies. Next weekend I swear I'll finally hit up a jam for real. And maybe next year I'll actually make it to the race/parade/extravaganza that is Bay to Breakers. It's good to have goals.
I may have been Alice but I pulled a White Rabbit and was late for a very important date with Bay to Breakers. Still, I found a slice of Wonderland waiting for me on the streets of San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment