Sunday, April 1, 2018

Getting out in SF

The start-up life is not terribly conducive to blogging, or really having much of a life outside of work. (Yes, Captain Obvious here.) Don't get me wrong, my job is awesome, but it's also very intense. I get that a start-up is not the place to demand a work-life balance, but I'm sure I can achieve some happy medium between a 9-5 job and one that strips you of every waking moment. That balance is one that I'm continually working to perfect.

After about a month and a half on the job, I began reclaiming my weekends, which has been just so much healthier. And I'm trying to fill that free time with more than just naps. I've managed to eke out a bit of exploring in my new city and have even joined a new aerial studio.

While I'd hoped to give you a taste of my life outside of work for weeks now, my untapped mental energy only extends as far as uploading photo highlights. Let's see how much can be made of the caption space. Here are the highlights of my first two months (already!) in San Francisco.
Murals in the Mission! Highlights of a walking tour I took with an old friend (a high school penpal from the south of France!) who's now studying at Stanford.
The cheerful, cacophonous chaos of my first St. Paddy's Day Parade in San Francisco was a palpable reminder of the things I'd left behind while living abroad. In the midst of such a celebratory, quintessentially American atmosphere, the acuteness of Nicolas's absence here caught me off-guard. If current USCIS immigration time estimates stand, he'll just miss next year's parade, but maybe he'll get to experience it in 2020.
Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! My local supermarket, on the ground floor of the Twitter HQ building, is the greatest (except for its price tags). I was thrilled to pieces to get to use a camping trip with over twenty campers as an excuse to finally enjoy a proper cheese board, which I ensured even featured two different truffle-flavored cheeses. My wallet may hate it, but I love the Market!! It is literally the highlight of my Saturday lunch hour.
The 4th Annual Crabaganza! A weekend of camping, delicious cheeses, and fantastic fresh crab with more than 20 MIT alumni friends and their crew. The only downside was that I somehow managed to get a sunburn despite the complete cloud cover.
We may not be in France anymore, but my French friend and I did manage to find the wine country. Apparently in California, it's a thing to become a member of a winery that you particularly like, which commits you to getting a certain number of bottles per year and gives you access to exclusive winery events. I definitely could be down for that, though it will require a bit more homework first. I think Nicolas will have to help me out— such a commitment is not a one-person job. ;)
Closer to home, I've joined an aerial studio, Aerial Artique, just a few minutes' walk from my new home. I'm managing to make a regular routine out of weekend silks classes and Thursday evening acroyoga— my one work-out treat during the week. (Of course, it's back to work after class, but I love breaking up my Thursday evening that way!)
Just because I love the spirit of this city and the corner of it that I call home, here are some photos of the guerilla yarn bombing around the Civic Center.
"Give me chocolate." That's how I instructed the bar tender at 98 Turk, a highlight in my ongoing quest for the best bar in town. Here, you have to knock to get let in, and there are no menus. You're only limited by your and your bartender's imaginations, and perhaps the cost of the drinks.
This city is ripe for exploration, and I know just the woman for the job. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment